When the weather is colder, I not only crave hot comforting foods but sometimes I want something a bit more colourful and cheery that will remind me of summer days to come. I've been dying to make a fruit tart after seeing a lot of them all over the blogosphere (particularly ones with peaches), and so I thought of coming up with my own tart to help pull me through these chilly days.
As summery as it is, this caramelized peach, banana and pomegranate tart ticks all the right boxes when it comes to winter desserts. Its a delightful mesh of juicy fruit flavours, with a little hint of sticky sweetness, and definitely enjoyed hot out of the oven. Maybe not all of these fruits are seasonal but they definitely have you tasting a little bit of sunshine in the midst of all the woolly socks, hot soups and dreary greyness. And quite frankly the addition of pomegranate to this tart is amazing. As is the banana. So really, its just an awesome tart that you have to make.
Make sure to roll out your puff pastry quite thin as I could have made mine a little more thinner. Otherwise it takes no time at all to put this together and well, I'm not even going to provide any weights or measurements, as it really was just that - easy ingredients just thrown together.
Caramelized Peach, Banana & Pomegranate Tart
Puff pastry, thawed
Butter, melted (I used two tablespoons)
Egg yolk, for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Roll out your puff pastry to a square or rectangular shape (mine was to about 8x5"), and till it is thin. Form a small border by folding in the sides and pressing.
2. Layer peach and banana pieces all over the pastry base and sprinkle pomegranate arils.
3. Pour the melted butter all over the fruit base. Sprinkle brown sugar generously all over, and cinnamon powder to your liking.
4. Brush the pastry border with egg yolk.
5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until pastry has puffed up and is a golden brown. Serve immediately.