Its been a while since my last post. Family commitments, priorities and visits from guests had all taken over.
One of these guests included a visit from my favourite uncle and its from him that the idea for these muffins came about entirely. This uncle of mine happens to be an artistic extraordinaire, someone who has had creativity running through his blood ever since I can remember.
Along with my sister, many a time was spent in our childhood watching him paint (or rather cajoling him to let us paint with him), sketch and sew together dresses as a fashion student, or cook up an aromatic Indian dish. I used to love looking at his mood boards filled with magazine cut outs, colour swatches and movie star posters. The kitchen would always smells amazing when he cooked, and still does.
Like most of my family, he avidly follows and reads my blog. So when he suggested the combination of pomegranate and white chocolate in a muffin, who was I to say no? Fruit and chocolate always go well together in a muffin. And it turns out he was right with this winning combination.
Ruby red pomegranate arils, and dainty white chocolate chips dot these hearty, filling muffins. Sweet enough to delight your senses, but not too sweet that they can't be enjoyed for breakfast. This recipe makes six, enough to feed a family, but you might want to make a double batch, coz these are going to go really fast! I used all white flour, but they would be just as good with brown or whole-wheat for a more healthier version.
If you are looking for an interesting muffin recipe then these muffins are going to be anything but boring. And since this wasn't the only recipe my uncle suggested keep an eye out for more featured on the blog in the future! :)
Pomegranate & White Chocolate Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour, or 1 cup all purpose and 1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp melted butter
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
1/2 cup white chocolate chips/white chocolate chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a muffin tin, or line with muffin cups.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl whisk together the melted butter, egg and milk.
4. Make a large well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the milk mixture. Quickly fold together the ingredients without over mixing. Stop mixing as soon as the ingredients have been incorporated.
5. Carefully fold in the pomegranate and white chocolate.
6. Fill muffin tin or liners with the batter until 2/3 full. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes until golden and an inserted tooth pick comes out clean. There may be some bubbling on the surface from the white chocolate caramelizing, but this is normal.
7. Leave to sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan.