The new year in Dubai brought with it some much cooler weather than we are used to for the Emirates. Having the luxury of warm/hot weather for pretty much ten months of the year means the unexpected cold can be a little unnerving. At least for me. I find I'm much more productive when the sun is out, even if I am just in the house.
Anyway, its definitely had me craving hot drinks, warm soups and simple baked desserts like this recipe for baked chocolate marshmallow apples. And I can't tell you how deliciously perfect this dessert is for a cold winters day.
I have never been one for baked apple desserts, but I just loved the addition of chocolate and marshmallows here. Its so simple, and yet served hot was just the thing I needed. I added a few cinnamon chips to my recipe, although this is not neccessary, as the cinnamon powder at the end provides the warm spice. One apple serves two people which makes it a great dessert to share with a significant other as well.
Next time I'll be pairing it with ice cream!
Baked Chocolate Marshmallow ApplesAdapted from Martha Stewart
Makes 2 servings
1 medium apple
2 large marshmallows, 1 quartered and 1 halved
2 tsps good quality dark chocolate, chopped
Cinnamon chips (if desired)
2 tbsps unsalted butter
1 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Halve each apple lengthwise, and using a a knife carefully cut and scoop out the seeds, making a crater in each half. You can also use a spoon or melon baller instead.
2. Fill each half with a marshmallow quarter, and 1 teaspoon of the chopped chocolate. Add a few cinnamon chips if desired.
3. Spoon half a tablespoon of butter over the chocolate, and place apple halves in a baking dish. Add the water and remaining butter into the dish.
4. Bake apple halves for 25-30 minutes, until a paring knife cuts through the apple easily.
5. Set the oven to broil or grill, and place the marshmallow halves onto each apple, until golden brown.
6. Serve hot drizzled with juices and a sprinkling of cinnamon powder.